Located at the foot of the Long Tom Pass, Lydenburg was founded in 1849, becoming a Manicipality in 1927. Along with many other town in these parts, it was a site of a minor gold rush, with Lydenburg goldfields being proclaimed following the discovery of alluvial gold in February 1873. Prospectors still sift the gravel of the Spekboom River today, hoping to find traces of gold. Lydenburg was also used as a British garrison during the first Anglo Boer War (1880-1881), during which time a small fort was built and named ‘Mary’ after the wife of the commanding officer Lt WH Long. The Voortrekkers who founded the original settlement in 1849 it it’s name Lydenburg – Town of Suffering – due to a devastating malaria outbreak that had caused many death of many settlers in the Lowveld region. Perhaps a more fitting title is it’s new name of Mashishing given in 2006, which means ‘Place of Long Grass’. In recent years this agricultural has seen growth of agro-tourism, while also drawing visitors to it’s many natural and historical sites not to mention it’s good fly-fishing prospects.
Steenkamp Bridge now Spekboom Bridge,Old Voortrekker School,Old Voortrekker Church,The Dutch Reforedm Church
Burgher Monument,Zar Post Box,Gunpowder Magazine,Gustav Klingbiel Nature Reserve
The Lydenburg Museum – Lydenburg Heads,Lydenburg Falls,Lydenburg Dam