Hoedspruit was given it’s name by Dawid Johannes Joubert, who in 1844 after a cloud burst on Mariepskop causing the Zandspruit River to flash flood, lost his hat in the river. Hats were a valuable resource and this was a memorable event, as in the River that stole his Hat – Hoedspruit. Registering his farm in 1848 was the official beginning of Hoedspruit. in 1850 the farms of Jonkmanspruit, Welverdiend (meaning “well deserved”) still in existence today. in 1910, after WW1, the Selati Railway line was built between Komatipoort and Tzaneen, and although initially built for transporting goods, passengers started travelling and 5 stations were built along the line, Hoedspruit being one. And as is with all stations, the town started developing around the station. The town has grown in recent years, due to it’s proximity to private game reserves and the Kruger National Park, eco-tourism is a major contributor to the local economy.
Blyde Canyon Adventure Centre,Blyde River Boat Trip,Gaint Baobab,spruit Endangered Species Centre
Kinyonga Reptile Centre,Hiking,Klaserie Dam,Leading Edge Flight School
Mariepskop Pass – Lookout,Moholoholo Rehabilitation Centre,Nyani Cutural Village,Sun Catchers Hot Air Balloon Safari’s