Graskop’s history began in 1843 with the arrival of Andries Potgieter and the Voortrekkers who made and encampment on the banks of the Treur River while looking to establish a route through to Delagoa Bay (Maputo). In the grassveld and singular lack of trees in the area. Gold was dicovered in the 1870’s which caused an influx of diggers. By the 1890’s a more cost effective route was needed to get the supplies through to Pilgrim’s Rest. This allowed Max Carl Gustav Leibnitz to make his own fortune, who almost single-handedly turned the existing animal track into the first “Kowyn’s Pass”, and built a tollgate and an inn, doing a roaring trade in liquor. These were the first permanent structures to be built. Graskop was declared a township in 1914 after the completion of the railway line. Due to the rainfall and natural sour-grass, Graskop was not good for farming and stayed a railway town until the depression of the 1920’s, when the government decided to further it’s intended plan of planting trees in this area. This work saved many white families from starving in those dark days. Since then Graskop became a timber town and remains so today. But with the development of motor vehicle and improvements in roads, Graskop has become a tourist town, centrally situated on the Panorama route, now famed for its views pancakes and arts & crafts.
Africa Silks Farm,Austrain Coffee Estate,Big Swing /7 Higwire,Gifs, Arts & Curio Shopping
Hiking Trails,Horse Riding,Pancakes,Quad Biking,Shangana Cultural Village